70% Of People Will Hire Someone With A Portfolio
We’re always looking for ways to make it easier for people to get found for their skills. We recently conducted a survey to discover what our members thought was most important when selecting someone to work with on SkillPages.
For 70% of respondents a portfolio was the most important thing on a member’s profile.
It’s very clear from this result that showcasing your skills is the most important thing you can do to get yourself noticed and in return get contacted for new work opportunities. You can easily build up your portfolio by uploading images, files and videos for potential customers to browse. If you are confident in your work, then showcasing it is the next natural step. You don’t need to be a professional photographer or videographer, let your work speak for itself! Work examples not only allow you to stand out from your competition but also tell people why they should choose you for their next opportunity.
The big take away from this is that members with work examples are more likely to get hired. So don’t waste any time in making sure your portfolio is up to date. To give you some inspiration have a look at some popular portfolios:
- Kerry Robinson a graphic designer from England updates her portfolio with her designed merchandise such as t-shirts, notebooks, key rings, mugs and bags.
- Kelly Vanfossen a crocheter from USA adds work examples such as her hand made Angry Birds, shawls and other women’s wear.
- Sunny Wieler a stonemason from Ireland illustrates his progression in his stone projects, uploads photos and videos of his work examples and snippets of publications of is featured work.
- Sam McFarlane a free runner from Scotland frequently adds videos of his skills in action (I wouldn’t try this at home!). He also uploads different photos of his performances in events/ festivals and even when he features in music videos.
We are also going to take this insight on-board for our upcoming site redesign, with an overhaul to portfolios which will help to bring your work examples to the forefront. Stay tuned for more updates on that in the coming weeks!
- 52% feel that recommendations were very important when considering to work with someone.
- 49% of respondents wanted to see a profile picture before choosing to work with someone new.
Thanks to all those who have given their feedback. If you have any questions or feedback to add please let us know in the comments or email us!
The survey polled more than 300 members.
Posted on September 20, 2012, in Get Your Skill Found, SkillPages News and tagged get found, portfolio, skillpages, survey results. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on 70% Of People Will Hire Someone With A Portfolio.